Thursday, July 24, 2008

Well the real computer (internet we steal) has been acting up again so it is back to posting on my phone. Which is somewhat limmited. First off I want to say I was given an award by hihorosie... and when I get back to the real computer I will post more on that.
Secondly, we are getting closer and closer to our 100 day raw food challenge people. Very exciting!
Thirdly, I got a mature coconut last week and I wasn't sure what I was going to use it for. Last night I cracked it (using the technique shown on the youtube video I posted to raw fu) and it was super easy. I made coconut milk from the meat and juice in the blender and strained it through cheese cloth. It even secreted a little COCONUT CREAM! Which I immediately ate right off the cloth. Mmm fat. I put the pulp in the dehydrator. So I have this big glass of fresh coconut milk and I was thinking "now what to do whith this???" I decided to whip up a delicious curry. I have never made curry personaly, before this, and I am not super familiar with the elements of indian/thai/whoever else uses curry food. Internet was down so I browsed through my copious pile of raw cookbooks... didn't have many of the ingredients for any curry recipe so I just went for it. I used about 2 cups of coconut milk, 1 med/sm avocado, 2 t curry powder, 1/2 t chilli powder, 1/2 t paprika, a squeeze of lemon juice, a pinch of garlic powder. Then I chopped up some veggies: mushroom, tomato, green onion, zuchini, and added them to the soup/saucy stuff. I put some in a bowl and put it in the dehydrator for about a half hour... just long enough that it wasn't cold. I chopped some cilantro and apples and put those and raisins on top. It turned out pretty good. I felt the sauce was lacking just a little bit but I didn't know what to add. All the flavors in the veggies made up for it though so it was still very satisfying. Any one have any curry tips for me for next time?
Fourthly, now I need to figure out what to do with that coconut pulp. I'm thinking COOKIES!
Fifthly, (haha, can you tell I'm having fun with the numbers?) I get my raw raw cashews in the mail today. I am so pumped. Oh! My produce order comes today also! We still have quite a bit of lettuce left, lovest has not been eating his salads this week!
I think that's about it...
Lets all hope my computer is up and rolling this evening!

3 comments:

HiHoRosie said...

Mmm...raw cashews...do you get those from sunfood?

Not sure what to do with coconut pulp so I'm no help! But I enjoy eating mature coconuts. I like to cut out little chunks and eat it like that. We've also used a mature coconut in a smoothie. It was good just a little gritty-like so some people might not like that but it was still tasty and not wanting to waste anything drank it up w/no prob. :)

I love thai food so coconut and curry are always yummy to me (maybe add in some lemongrass?) but haven't made any raw versions of curry coconut or curry anything so again I'm of no help to you. I bought some curry powder but that's as far as I got.

Okay, now that I've rambled on - have a good day. If you make cookies let us know how it turns out.

Sam said...

Hey, I'm glad you have that harry potter counter there! I used to have one on my desktop. It reminded me about the new movie, I'm going to go check that stuff out! Just giving my regards.
-Sam

Seeker said...

hey - funny you should say that about avos and cocos, as i'm embarking today on my 80/10/10 adventure - no "overt" fat!!! we'll see how this goes. no avos or cocos for me for the next week and then on in to the first 40 days of the challenge. on day 40, my 4th mini-challenge reward will be a nice, big fat avocado! with tahini dressing!

the salt thing. dude. i don't know. it's all new, but i knew that was what it was. gonna blog more about that later.