Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Sassy Pants!

I decided to write to PCC one of our local natural markets and see if their raisins were legit. The dude totally sassed me! Not to be out done, I sassed him right back... he doesn't even know sass til he met me!
I'll let you know if there is more to this saga...

Long story short, they are sundried, we can all eat pcc's organic thompson raisins...

My original inquiry:
Hi, I am trying to obtain some additional information on your organic Thompson Raisins that are sold in your store. I am wondering if they can be considered a raw food product, and ow hugh they are heated in the drying process... Any help you can give me on this would be appreciated

Thank you,
Sara Beth

His reply:
Hello, Sara Beth!

Raw foods are those which are not heated to 116 degrees and above. The typical organic Thompson raisins, like several of the brands we carry, are sun-dried. The drying takes place on paper, and as this is in the open air, and on the ground, it seems unlikely that the grapes/raisins ever reach a temperature that hot.

From what I’ve read of raw foods diets, I believe that one can have up to 25% of the diet consisting of food heated up to above the 116 degree limit, and 75% of raw food. So, if the concern might be that a particular raisin was oven-dried as opposed to sun-dried, even then one might not have reached the limit of 25% cooked food in one’s diet.

It all depends on your own opinions, I suppose. Many consider raisins to be raw food, and the above should allow you to judge whether they fit your description.

Cheers!

TJ

My response:

Thank you! While I do not consider consuming 25% of your diet from cooked foods to be part of a raw food life style, nor do I think would many of my comrades, I do appreciate this information and I will definitely eat your raisins!
Sb
PS there is large debate over the temperature at which enzymes loose viability. Many believe it is at 104 degrees. Just to give you a little more info!

4 comments:

HiHoRosie said...

Hey Sassy Pants! Thanks for doing homework on our behalf. Now we can enjoy some raisins. :)

And one of these days when I make onion bread (b/c I will) I will follow your recipe.

HiHoRosie said...

hey Sassy Pants - you've been nominated for an award. Go to my blog and check it out. :)

PCC Natural Markets said...

Hello Sara:

You certainly know your Raw foods! Please let me know in the future how we can service you with any information you may need or be interested in.

I work for PCC now but before joining this fantastic Co-Op I remember doing an interview with Bo Rinaldi, Cofounder, Vegan Fusion that I think you might find interesting. Vegan Fusion is dedicated to the promotion of the Vegan diet and lifestyle as a means to Planetary Peace.

http://organicallyspeaking.org/wp/?p=20

Thanks and MAKE it a GREAT weekend!

-Ricardo Rabago
PCC Natural Markets
http://pccnaturalmarkets.com
ricardo.rabago [@] pccsea.com

HiHoRosie said...

I think it was the award that got pcc to comment on your blog. hee hee! Enjoy the fame and fortunate that are bound to happen.