Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Lunch

Today for lunch (after my customary ice cream sundae) I had a delicious taco salad and tried out a new chip recipe. I must say it is a lot better than the first one I tried, which was good, but too flax(y). This one I got off gone raw and I think the girl from gone raw got it from a cook book (maybe rfrw?) I was out of jalapeno and didn't have hemp seeds, I followed the rest as written. Here it is:

Corn Tortilla Chips!
3 cups fresh corn, from about 3 ears, or use frozen, thawed sweet corn
1½ cups red or orange bell pepper, roughly chopped
½ cup onion, roughly chopped
¾ cup flax seeds, ground
½ cup hemp seeds (optional), ground
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 jalapeno, seeds removed
1 teaspoon chili (mild) powder
2 teaspoons fresh whole cumin seed, ground
2 teaspoons sea salt

Preparation
1. In a food processor, chop the corn, bell pepper, and onion until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and process until just combined.
2. Using an offset spatula, spread the dough thinly onto three 14 inch Teflex lined dehydrator trays. Dehydrate at 115 degrees for 6 – 8 hours, or overnight. Flip the sheets over onto the tray and carefully peel away the liners. Break or cut w/ a pizza cutter into chip shapes. Place back in the dehydrator for 4 – 6 hours, or until crisp. Store in an airtight container for a week or two.

I also tried a new experiment for fresh taco meat... I chopped a carrot super fine and tossed it with cumin, chilli powder, a little nutritional yeast, and a tiny drizzle of olive oil. It turned out pretty good, would have been more meat like had I dehydrated it a bit, but I thought it was fine as is. I think this would be very effective using mushroom instead, also. Next time I would try a bigger batch and use my food processor, perhaps throw in some mushrooms and soaked sundried tomatoes and maybe some lemon juice, season it, and let the whole thing marinate a bit to get all softened and chewy and flavorful. What do you all think? Any ideas to improve this recipe? I am going to a taco party this weekend and I am going to either make taquitos using this filling and the raw chip recipe, or just make all the stuff for taco salad. Perhaps even sour cream? Any suggestions for what I should put on my raw taco/taco salad to make it the envy of all the cooked vegans I will be partying with?
Oh... and remember all that fruit?
I finally have it ALL sealed away in the fridge for smoothie and ice cream use. Very fast and convenient! Like 4 bags full of bananas! yum!

4 comments:

HiHoRosie said...

Whoa Woman! You've been busy with the posts today!! ;)

That taco salad looks amazing! Of course, anything Mexican makes me weak in the knees. I follow a "meat" recipe that I don't dehydrate either (not that patient I guess) but maybe I'll do that one time and see. Anyway, I'm always looking for good chip recipes and have found so far that when there's a bell pepper involved it tastes better. IMO. I'll have to try this one.

HiHoRosie said...

Okay, so the posts aren't all from today....I should've said yesterday and today. :)

Anonymous said...

Thats so funny I made that recipe last night too but I didn't have any hemp or bell pepper so I used some back seasame seeds for the hemp and they came out almost black looking but tasted really good.

Sour Cream Recipe from RAW:

1 1/2 cups raw cashews
3/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
2 1/4 cup filtered water

Put all the ingredients in the blender and blend well. Pour into a class jar and cover with cheesecloth. Allow to stand at room temp for 1-3 hours. Taste ocasionally, as soon as the taste is slightly sour, refrigerate it.

I haven't tried it so I'm not sure how it tastes.

Danieal

Anonymous said...

"RAW: the uncookbook

Danieal