Saturday, June 7, 2008

Everyday Raw...

So someone on goneraw was talking up this cookbook and I thought, hey that sounds great. The title really did it for me, since I know I can make fancy raw food, but what does one eat day to day??? I ordered it on amazon, it came the next day, I didn't even order 1 day, all good omens so far. So happily I read the book. All you other food nerds who get a cookbook and proceed to read it cover to cover the first day, you are in good company. This is what I thought:
  • Pretty pictures (sounds funny but it helps)
  • A few recipes that could be staples
  • Many recipes that call for young Thai coconut
  • Many nut heavy recipes
  • Many recipes I will never make
Buuuut... let's be honest, most of the time I don't use recipes anyway. I just learn HOW to make stuff and through it together on my own. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I think overall $13 whatever that I paid for this book was worth it. If the corn chips rule it will be worth the money just for that. 
Today I made a recipe almost entirely from the book, minus parsley, which I didn't have and I think it's gonna be great. 

Quinoa Tabbouleh
1 C soaked and sprouted Quinoa
1 C Tomato (diced)
1 C Cucumber (diced)
1/4 C minced Red Onion
1/2 C Flat Leaf Parsley
1/4 cup Olive Oil
3 T Lemon Juice
1 t Salt

Drain Quinoa, transfer to a medium bowl and let marinate in olive oil, lemon juice and salt for 30 min- 1 hour. Add remaining ingredients and mix until well incorporated.

I used way less dressing, I don't need that much Oil! I also just mixed it all together and let it marinate as one. It is marinating right now and I can wait to eat it! Oh and I threw some Avo on top. Guess I am getting that oil anyway ;)
So in the picture I think you can see all the cute little sprouts from my quinoa. Some people say they can't eat sprouted (uncooked) quinoa, this will be my first time eating a large quantity, we will see if it hurts my tummy.

No comments: