Sunday, February 22, 2009

rollercoaster ride

So a certain someone some of you may know...
Decided it would be a good idea yesterday morning right as I was leaving for work, to jump up on the kitchen counter and eat 4 raw chocolate macaroons fresh out of the dehydrator. Now I am normally very careful with chocolate, onions, grapes and other dog poisons but she was in the bedroom asleep with the door shut and I put them on the counter with the intention of putting them away as soon as they had cooled. I didn't think she would be awake until I left for work. I was sadly mistaken and careless. She grabbed them and swallowed them whole before I even knew what happened. I woke up my sister (the vet) on her day off and she advised inducing vomiting. I had to rush to the store, buy a turkey baster and hydrogen peroxide, and race home. Trying to force the hydrogen peroxide down b bears gullet was one of the most traumatic experiences in me, chuck, and blanches lives. I was crying, blanche was red and panicked, and alex was scratched and shaky. The first two times we didn't get enough down and had to do it one more time before it finally worked. WHAT A HELL RIDE! She finally tossed her cookies (well, my cookies) and I was so happy to see them all come up whole, which means no digestion or absorption of the chocolate. I feel so awful to have been so irresponsible and put pup in harms way. Please learn from my mistake and be extra vigilant for your doggies. I am so glad I had alex to help me... We could barely hold her down together, there is no way I could have done it alone.
Today was a much better day. She and I spent the morning cleaning and napping (on her part). I did a whole bunch of grocery shopping later in the morning. Hit Raw Vegan Source (.com) and restocked on all my raw nuts and seeds I can't get elsewhere. Also enrolled for the raw mexican food and dessert classes they are having next weekend. I am pretty excited about that as they will both be using irish moss and I am really curious about that. I was a busy be when I got home... I made more macaroons (since pup ate most of mine) being very careful she couldn't snatch any. Made crackers and cashew cheese. Brazil nut milk. Oh! and of course ICE CREAM. A really good coconut ice cream. So dinner was pizza followed by a bowl of ice cream with a hot macaroon crumbled on top. YUM!

5 comments:

Jenni Smith said...

Wow, that is a scary thing to go through. My little guy Gomez got into a tiny bag of vegan chocolate truffles on Xmas day, but did not eat enough to get sick. It's almost enough to make me never want chocolate in the house again. The dogs, they are fast and sneaky. I'm glad Blanche is well, and it sounds like you did a great job taking care of her!

debbiedoesraw said...

so sorry to hear about this! she is lucky you are a good mom!
deb

Aimee (Bitt) said...

wow doing some counter surfing huh? crafty little gal. sienna's had her share of poisons and always been ok but i've heard some horror stories. glad she's ok now.

KombuchaCHIC said...

I'm so sorry about your poor puppy!

Andy IV said...

HA. Me and alex almost look like bros now. But I look more like a Quaker unlike Mr. Zapata over there.